Job Title: Mechanical Technician
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Engineering
KULR Technology Group is a publicly traded company (NYSE: KULR) with a vibrant startup dynamic, headquartered in San Diego, CA. Our mission is developing energy management platforms to accelerate the global transition to a circular electrification economy. We create sustainable solutions that benefit humanity using space proven engineering, making the world of batteries and electronics cooler, lighter, and safer. We operate in four verticals: e-mobility, environmental/energy storage, industrial/consumer tools, and aerospace/defense. Our technologies have been deployed by NASA, including applications on the Space Station and Mars Rover.
Under limited or direct supervision, the Mechanical Technician is responsible for supporting the Company in maintaining and utilizing commercial production equipment. The Mechanical Technician will combine manual dexterity, attention to detail, and use of hand and power tools and commercial production equipment in a range of fabrication and maintenance processes that support a number of KULR’s development activities. The Mechanical Technician must be able to use a variety of machine and laboratory equipment in carrying out responsibilities. In addition, the Mechanical Technician may support lithium-ion battery fabrication, build-up, and testing activities in support of any of the Company’s programs.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Onsite
- KULR Technology Location: Webster, Texas and San Leon, Texas
- Schedule: Monday – Friday
- Travel: Local travel between work locations (Webster and San Leon, Texas)
- Pay Rate: $27.02 – $38.75 an hour
- Read and interpret technical drawings, schematics, manuals, and work instructions.
- Assemble, install, align, and calibrate mechanical equipment and systems according to specifications.
- Conduct regular inspections, maintenance, and repairs on mechanical systems, including automated machinery, motors, pumps, compressors, conveyors, and other equipment.
- Identify and diagnose mechanical issues or malfunctions using technical knowledge, diagnostic tools, ad equipment manuals.
- Develop, implement, and document equipment maintenance plans.
- Modify, fabricate, and/or build prototype components and hardware, including those for battery systems.
- Participate, assist, and/or facilitate lithium-ion battery testing, including electrical cycling and/or forms of destructive thermal runaway experiments (on-the-job training can be provided for this function).
- Participate, assist, and/or facilitate destructive physical analysis (DPA) activities following the conclusion of lithium-ion battery testing activities.
- Assist in the transition from prototype to production.
- Verify dimensions of parts, using precision measuring instruments, to ensure that specifications are met.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineers, production supervisors, and quality control personnel, to ensure that production goals and quality standards are met.
- Monitor equipment performance, troubleshoot, and communicate any issues that arise during operation.
- Consistently maintain a high degree of order and cleanliness in the assigned area.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-5 years of relevant experience
- Skilled use with a wide variety of hand and power tools
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, components, and tools.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Skilled in prototyping
- Skilled in Testing Result Reporting
- Demonstrated ability to influence others, build effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to accomplish business objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to assume personal accountability, address limitations, exhibits honesty and respect towards others, the company and oneself.
- Demonstrated ability to serve and actively contribute as an active team member on the immediate team and the larger organization. Ability to support the team effort without necessarily taking the lead.
- Ability to achieve measurable goals and results to support of organizational success.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to build effective relationships to achieve business results.
- Strong demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of individuals in a diverse community.
- Cooperative spirit within a large and/or small team of diverse cultures, while working in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and frequently changing priorities.
- Intermediate use of computers and Microsoft Office Suite Applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee may encounter while performing this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Noisy environments: Constantly
- Hazardous conditions: Occasionally
- Small and/or enclosed spaces: Occasionally
- Operating machinery and/or power tools: Constantly
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers: Constantly
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 50 pounds in all directions: Occasionally
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods: Constantly
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another: Constantly
- Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces: Occasionally
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds: Constantly
- Medium work that includes moving objects up to 50 pounds: Occasionally
- Heavy work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more: Occasionally
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like: Occasionally
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to provide own transportation between work locations.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen due to federal contract requirements.
- Successful applicant must meet ITAR requirements.
Disclosure And Acknowledgement:
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other associates.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by the supervisor in compliance with federal and state Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.