KULR Technology Group is a publicly traded company (NYSE: KULR) with a vibrant startup dynamic, headquartered in San Diego, CA. Our mission is developing energy management platforms to accelerate the global transition to a circular electrification economy. We create sustainable solutions that benefit humanity using space proven engineering, making the world of batteries and electronics cooler, lighter, and safer. We operate in four verticals: e-mobility, environmental/energy storage, industrial/consumer tools, and aerospace/defense. Our technologies have been deployed by NASA, including applications on the Space Station and Mars Rover.
Job Title: Electrical Engineer II, Battery Electrical Systems (Multi-hire: 2 positions)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $82,100 – $113,100
Reports to: Engineering Design Manager, Battery Systems
KULR Technology Location: Webster and San Leon, Texas
Travel: Occasional travel required
KULR Technology Corporation recently launched its KULR ONE platform at CES 2023.KULR ONE (K1) is a safe, high performance, modular, and intelligent battery platform. In addition, KULR offers KULR ONE Design Services (K1-DS) to customers seeking custom battery options. With K1-DS, KULR takes the standard practices and principals applied to the K1 platform and applies them to help a customer develop their own battery system specific to their use case.
The Electrical Engineer II, Battery Electrical Systems will design, test, and analyze battery electrical systems for both K1 and K1-DS. This can involve selection of Battery Management System (BMS) or design of custom BMS, design of electrical interconnects and busbars, determination of cell selection and configuration for new design verticals, and design and interaction with high voltage systems. This individual will be responsible for communicating progress on designs and activities for relevant programs through KULR’s Product Development Process (PDP) to the KULR Engineering Design Manager for Battery Systems.
Designs, develops, and tests electrical equipment, components, circuits, or systems. Applies mathematical and engineering principles and methods to designs. Performs extensive testing and validation of designs to ensure reliability, performance, and safety standards are achieved. Conducts research and studies new technologies to innovate and design solutions or products.
- Design and manage battery electrical systems including, high energy systems, high power systems, and/or high voltage systems. Most verticals involve cylindrical format cells (18650/21700), therefore experience working with these cell formats will be helpful to the candidate.
- Create and/or modify electrical drawings and communicate the contents to our manufacturing team during their development of work instructions.
- Perform electrical analysis of designs for K1 and K1-DS.
- Selection of COTS BMS and/or support the design of custom BMS.
- Aid in assembly of electrical sub-systems, including tab welding for engineering prototypes.
- Participate in cell-level and battery-level thermal runaway testing including design of testing procedure, execution of testing, processing of testing results, and interpretation of testing results.
- Participate in cell-level and battery-level electrical characterization activities.
- Cross-training in other areas, mutually agreed upon by the associate engineer and their supervisor, will be required to further support Company needs.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
Education & Experience:
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering is required. Graduate degree in STEM field desired.
- 2-4 years’ of design, test, analysis, and/or management of battery electrical systems, battery management systems, high-voltage systems, and/or other relevant electrical systems.
- Prior experience in hands-on testing activities and post-test data interpretation activities.
- 2-4 years’ experience with design activities involving CAD and electrical schematic development.
- Experience involving, or interacting with, either COTS or custom battery management system (BMS).
- Experience working with high energy systems, high power systems, and/or high voltage systems.
- Expert use of MS Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel) required.
- Prior experience operating and prototyping with a 3-D printer would be preferred but is not required.
- Desired computer skills: Altium, P-Spice, electrical design platforms, Solidworks, PTC Creo Parametric, GT-SUITE, thermal analysis platforms, computational fluids dynamics (CFD) platforms, combustion analysis platforms, Tableau or Microsoft Power BI, LabVIEW, MATLAB. KeyShot and/or Blender experience is also helpful.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Expertise with design for volume manufacturing of lithium-ion battery systems with emphasis of expertise being on electrical aspects of the designs.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others, build effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to accomplish business objectives.
- Circuit Design
- Computer Simulation
- Design Optimization
- Mathematical Analysis
- Mathematical Modeling
- Reliability Analysis
- Requirements Engineering/Analysis
- Research and Development
- Schematic Capture
- Electro-Mechanical Components/Instruments
- CAD Software
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software
- Demonstrated ability to assume personal accountability, address limitations, exhibits honesty and respect towards others, the company and oneself.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, assessing business needs and using problem solving skills to address challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to serve and actively contribute as an active team member on the immediate team and the larger organization. Ability to support the team effort without necessarily taking the lead.
- Able to generate new insights into situations and encourage innovation to generate successful outcomes. Creates, designs, and implements programs or processes.
- Ability to achieve measurable goals and results to support of organizational success.
- Ability to understand and analyze underlying organizational issues.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to build effective relationships to achieve business results.
- Strong demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of individuals in a diverse community.
- Cooperative spirit within a team of diverse cultures while working in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and frequently changing priorities.
- Intermediate use of computers and Microsoft Office Suite Applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee may encounter while performing this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Office Work Environment
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures and viewing a computer terminal. The work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, which permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to frequently operate a personal computer (estimated 80%-100% of the typical workday) and other office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting and at a computer workstation for an extended period, with the ability to move around the office considered to be approximately 100% of the workday.
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Noisy environments. Occasionally
- Hazardous conditions. Occasionally
- Small and/or enclosed spaces. Occasionally
- Operating machinery and/or power tools. Constantly
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers. Occasionally
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 25 pounds in all directions. Constantly
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Constantly
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another. Constantly
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing. Constantly
- Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces. Occasionally
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds. Constantly
- Medium work that includes moving objects up to 50 pounds. Occasionally
- Heavy work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more. Occasionally
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like. Occasionally
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to provide own transportation between work locations.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed. (This is only for non-exempt positions.)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen due to federal contract requirements.
- Successful applicant must meet ITAR requirements.
Disclosure And Acknowledgement:
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other associates.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by the supervisor in compliance with federal and state Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.